Sunday, April 19, 2015

Empathy Machines - What is this blog?


Hello, readers! Thanks for reading my blog. Creating this blog is something I've been considering doing for a long time now, given my love of all things in the arts - especially movies. I love them, and I have for a long time. Many have had lasting, powerful, and deep impacts on my life and I hope that through this blog you can begin to see even a small part of what I see when I go to the movies.


 "We all are born with a certain package. We are who we are: where we were born, who we were born as, how we were raised. We're kind of stuck inside that person, and the purpose of civilization and growth is to be able to reach out and empathize a little bit with other people. And for me, the movies are like a machine that generates empathy. It lets you understand a little bit more about different hopes, aspirations, dreams and fears. It helps us to identify with the people who are sharing this journey with us." - Roger Ebert


So why Red Rabbit? In Alice In Wonderland and The Matrix, the white rabbit is used as a symbol to follow "down the rabbit hole" of their respective existences.



  
But who can think of a white rabbit without thinking of the flying, possessed white rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail that goes on a spree of biting the poor knights in the neck? At least that's where my mind goes...so there you have it, the Red Rabbit. 

Before I go on, you must know that I claim not to be any expert of film and all the many particulars that goes into making them. I simply am a lover of the cinema and hope to convey my thoughts and recommendations based on how I feel about movies/plays/concerts I choose to attend. With that being said I can say that I won't see even one-fifth of what is out there to see, so the knowledge I'm able to provide may not be as far-reaching as some may like or expect. What you can expect from this blog is that I will attempt to write a review for every movie I see, as well as for any note-worthy TV shows, concerts, or plays I've seen. 

Seeing something well crafted on screen or on stage is something magical. There is something truly special about walking into a well-kept theater, smelling the popcorn, buying your tickets, and settling down into an auditorium that has been painstakingly engineered to give you the very best cinematic experience possible. This experience is something that simply cannot be done on the screen of of a smartphone, and that's one reason why I'll always support going to the theater, and focusing your mind in such a way that you can hopefully soak in whatever the filmmakers have intended for you to experience. 

Again, I don't pretend to be an expert on any of this, just a moviegoer like yourself with a deep passion for what has been prepared for you to see/hear/feel/think about, etc. I respect these "empathy creating machines". There are thousands of film blogs out there, my hope would be that whomever stumbles upon mine will leave not feeling like their time has been wasted.

Thanks again for reading, enjoy!

PS: My wife is the grammar expert in the family, so please forgive my shortcomings in this area. I promise I'm working on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment