Saturday, April 25, 2015

Marvel's Cinematic Universe Movies (so far) Ranked from Best to Worst

 
  Image via Marvel Studios

We are just one week away from surely what will be one of the biggest sequels in history. The anticipation is huge for many fans out there (like myself) and we're all keeping our fingers crossed Marvel can make some magic happen again.


Marvel has been making some great (and some not so great) things happen in the movie world since 2008. Today I'll give a brief overview of each MCU film so far (with the exception of The Incredible Hulk) and try my best to explain the merits and shortcomings of each. Enjoy!

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  Image via Marvel Studios

Captain America: The Winter Solider represents (along with Guardians of the Galaxy) everything the MCU has become thus far. The evolution of the MCU from its shaky beginnings has developed into a taut, thrilling, confident, solid movie making machine. TWS felt very much Bourne-esque, and that's a great thing. It's my favorite Marvel movie to date and I'm looking forward to what tops it.

The Good:
  • Nearly everything. The score, the acting, the casting (Frank Grillo, Robert Redford, Anthony Mackie - all solid additions), Black Widow, the story, The Winter Soldier, the action (my heart was POUNDING in several scenes, especially the chase on the freeway), the humor, the heart.  Marvel was firing on all cylinders. Very exciting and lots of fun.
The Bad:
  • While I had originally wished the same composer would have been brought back from Captain America: The First Avenger (Alan Silvestri), I now recognize that Steve Rogers is in a different place in his life and the same music probably wouldn't have fit the tone that TWS carried (on a side note, Marvel has a habit of dumping directors, composers, etc, after just one movie and I feel it has a greater effect on the end result than they realize. Hiring someone new (*cough* CHEAPER) to take over the duties of those who had come before often results in a loss in consistency, feeling, tone, etc. It's unfortunate, but we have to remember that Marvel is ALWAYS going to be about the bottom dollar - just like 90% of most studios out there).  
Grade: A

2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  Image via Marvel Studios

Guardians of the Galaxy is something I always knew was going to succeed. Many had their doubts saying "A talking raccoon! How dumb!", and "it just looks so weird!", neither of which proved to be true (how is a movie about a frozen WWII soldier, or a buff, blonde surfer demigod from another planet not "weird"?). GOTG is a genuinely good time at the movies and I'm very happy to see how well it turned out. 

The Good: 
  • The cast: Yet again, Marvel nailed their casting every character was a joy to watch on screen (my personal favorite? Drax the Destroyer, played by Dave Bautista). 
  • The soundtrack: Great move going with so many classic rock hits. Love to see this boldness from Marvel.
  • The humor: all characters elicit some great laughs,  especially Chris Pratt. As a long time fan of Parks and Recreation, Chris Pratt has always been able to make me laugh. I'm glad to see him have some success here as Star Lord. 
  • The villain: Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser was awesome. The guy is talented and made Ronan genuninely imposing in the few scenes he had. Which brings me to my next point... 
The Bad: 
  • The villain: Again, this is a struggle for Marvel. Marvel hired real talent in Lee Pace, and ended up squandering him by only having a few real scenes to act in. Am I starting to sound like a broken record?
 Grade: A- 

3. The Avengers
 Image via Marvel Studios

I went to the first Avengers movie at midnight with my two sisters. We three had been looking forward to this movie for a long time, having really enjoyed the Marvel journey thus far. Suffice it to say, our hopes were met. Seeing everyone come together on screen for the first time was exhilarating, and often times so exciting it would elicit cheers from crowd. Marvel had succeeded in creating great characters we all cared about. Seeing a movie in this sort of environment is an experience that can't be replicated. The energy in the room is tangible and the crowd is eager to guzzle down every frame as quickly as possible. Maybe my love for the first Avengers is skewed because of such happy circumstances in which I first viewed it, maybe not.

The Good: 
  • The score: Alan Silvestri is the absolutely right choice for creating strong themes and fanfares, which is exactly what this score needed. He had previously wrote the score for Captain America: The First Avenger and they were genius in bringing him back for a film that would surely be in need of a rousing score. 
  • The chemistry: It was a joy to see all of our heroes on screen bantering and working together. Marvel has always kept a focus on character. The villain: Tom Hiddleston proved he is one of the best things about these movies. The guy is seriously talented, Marvel has been lucky to have him. 
  • The writing/directing: Joss Whedon is a creative genius, despite being hit-and-miss throughout his career. He's a true fan boy at heart, and has done the characters justice in their first ever team-up.
The Bad:
  • The climax. Don't get me wrong, the action in this film is very exciting. The problem is, especially in retrospect, is that the aerial battles have grown old, stale, and predictable. The days of fighting endless hordes of faceless/nameless aliens, robots, etc, are over. Marvel please find new, creative, climaxes that don't involve stakes as high as planetary destruction. Since when did these massive, 30 minute final battles (pretty much the third act of any Marvel movie) become standard, expected fare? We are tired of seeing it, hearing it, and feeling it - time to move on. 
Grade: A-

4. Iron Man
     Image via Marvel Studios

I remember coming home from my LDS mission and seeing Iron Man for the first time in theaters - It was awesome. I couldn't get enough. I think I saw RDJ's redemption story three or four times in theaters. I remember not knowing what to expect, having only really ever been exposed to such heroes such as Spider-Man and Batman. Iron Man came on to the scene loud, cocky, bold - and people ate it up. Marvel took a huge gamble on this movie, and it paid off. Huge. Marvel may have hit it out of the park with this picture, which can't be said for the sequel, when all the growing pains of expanding the MCU.

The Good:
  • The casting: Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man, and he always will be. On and off the screen this guy has become larger than life, and he's embraced it fully. 
  • The pacing: Right from the start we are interested in what happens to Stark, and the films keeps us engrossed the entire time, only tapering off slightly in the final "boss fight" against Jeff Bridges' character. Which leads me to...
The Bad:
  • The climax. Again, Marvel's achilles heal is exposed in what turns into a big "boss fight" that seems to bog down the movies great pacing up until that point. The battle feels like an obligation, but it's still enjoyable to watch. 
Grade: A-

5. Captain America: The First Avenger
 

Captain America: The First Avenger, second to the first Iron Man, I feel is the best entry in Marvel's Phase One. The movie had a great feeling to it, something akin to going back for an old Indiana Jones adventure. It is a well-made period piece with a hero that is an all around, incorruptible, stand-up hero. The Captain America movies aren't about bringing the hero down to our level, but making us want to rise up to his. One of my favorite quotes of recent years comes from this movie when Dr. Abraham Erskine: "Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good man." That's what these Captain America movies are about: being good. Steve Rogers doesn't want to kill or hurt people, he just doesn't like bullies. I would want him as a friend.  
Grade: A- 

6. Thor 

Thor came out the day I graduated from the University of Utah in 2011. My family and I, after going to my convocation, went and saw it at the Megaplex 12 theaters at the Gateway. I had no idea what to expect, or what it was about. I was blown away. From the opening scene panning through the city of Asgard, I was swept up in the beauty of it all. Asgard was stunning, the music was stirring, and most of all the characters were instantly likeable. Chris Hemsworth has so much charisma on screen as Thor, even I couldn't hold back a laugh as he worked the crowd and flipped his hammer around like it was a toy. Kenneth Branagh was an inspired choice to get this material off the ground is such a rousing manner, the man is a master of Shakespearean tales full of wit and pomp. I loved just how noble and godly Asgard and it's people seemed, and how virtues such as worthiness, humility, and selflessness are valued and key themes for the film. Thor couldn't be Thor unless he learned and became these things, and when he finally reaches that point it's a rousing and thrilling thing to witness. Thor also gave us Loki, whom is arguably just as charismatic (or more) than our leading man. Tom Hiddleston was perfectly cast for Loki and it's been a joy to see him on screen two other times. 

7. Iron Man 3

Iron Man 3 took me a while to warm up to, but the more I watch it, the more I like it. It's absolutely one of the funniest Marvel movies, and the (spoiler) twist with The Mandarin is incredible and unforgettable. When i first saw IM3 I was so shocked by the twist that I didn't quite know how to take the rest of the movie. I'm very impressed would be so bold as to do such a thing to one of Iron Man's greatest foes and I feel a certain level of respect that they actually went there. 
I saw IM3 the night that I proposed to my wife, so the first time I saw it I was distracted (to say the least).  

8. Thor: The Dark World
9: Iron Man 2


In a great summary of my feelings, I quote from Matt Goldberg from Collider.com:

"I’m not sure if The Avengers could have existed solely as an action extravaganza. If Marvel had hired a director who was indifferent to story and character, and had focused only on the action beats, the movie still would have been a financial success based on the Phase One films and novelty alone. But Marvel has always kept their eye on character, and aside from that attention leading to better all-around films that everyone can enjoy, it creates staying power. Set pieces fade from memory, but characters endure.

I can’t remember a single thing about Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I know it had a lot of set pieces and made a lot of money. I couldn’t tell you anything that happened in any of the big action scenes, because I didn’t care, and they weren’t clever. I’m sure they looked good at the time, but it’s cinema at its most disposable. It sold some toys, made some stuff blow up, and we’ll never talk about it again.


avengers-movie-image-chris-evans
  Image via Marvel Studios

The Avengers has almost too much action. From the attack on the Helicarrier until the end of the Battle of New York, there’s almost no breathing room. There are a few short scenes in between Loki’s escape and the portal opening, and that’s it. It’s an onslaught of mayhem that would be exhausting if it weren’t so exhilarating. And we’re exhilarated not because of the size of the effects or the level of the devastation. It’s because behind all of the CGI and booming sound, there are characters we care about, and their behavior dictates the action instead of the other way around."


Avengers: Age of Ultron comes out this Friday, 5/1/2015.
   Image via Marvel Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment